Added 7/1/2011 You are here: Jubilee River Home Page > Jubilee River - key facts > The Jubilee River Story > How to contact me > Jubilee River guided tours
< PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE > INDEX > ARCHIVE INDEX >
The Jubilee River story - Datchet Parish Council Minutes - 13 February 1895 - Page 25
These are the original Datchet Parish Council Minute Book pages complete with text in MS Word
(If a plan be found by which the lock gates can be opened when necessary should such be adopted in order to supplement the weirs etc in getting the) water away.
If such lowering of the level of the river be affected in time the area of storage for the surplus water would be enormously increased and the overflow of the Banks then to a great extent avoided.
The Council considers that when a flood is likely to occur the keeping up the river for the mill owners is enormous injustice to thousands of inhabitants for the benefit of comparatively small interests and it is therefore recommended that a Bill be presented to Parliament by which the Thames Conservancy would be relieved of such responsibility, upon equitable terms.
The Council recommends the provision of telephone communication between the locks and the office of the Thames Conservancy thus enabling a scientific officer to receive reports twice or three times daily from each district of the river, and by charts prepared from such reports to know exactly the state of the water, and to issue orders to meet the requirements of the case.
In 1877 the Conservators objected to providing telegraphic communication, as such would have required a trained telegraph clerk at each lock: the invention of the telephone removes that objection.
The Council considers the answer to this proposal by the Conservators at Maidenhead (viz. that orders have been given to the lockkeepers to draw the sluices when the water is over the mill owners’ level) inadequate and unsatisfactory.
NEXT PAGE >