This Is Gloucestershire

Flood-hit farmers given lifeline

Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 12:46

 

FLOOD-hit farmers have been given a lifeline after a decision was made to allow the collection of crops from waterlogged land.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has decided to suspend the legislation which stops farmers from collecting crops from flooded land.

The decision came after the National Farmers Union wrote to Defra Secretary of State Hilary Benn last week.

Jan Rowe, NFU representative for Gloucestershire, said that the decision is a positive one.

He said: "Farmers don't want to do unnecessary damage to the land, but they simply have to get the crops in.

"The decision is a very sensible approach as the situation is heading towards becoming a salvage operation.

"Some farms in Tewkesbury are completely underwater and have lost all of their crops, but there are some still out there to be collected."

For the full story seem tomorrow's edition of The Citizen and Gloucestershire Echo.

How to contact me

Return to home page